2014 was definitely my favourite year. Ever. Ever ever. Travel, making new friends, learning new things, finding a direction. I feel like I’ve already waxed lyrical about all these things, so let me move on.
2014 was also an incredibly busy and frenetic year. I didn’t have a constant home for more than 3 months at a time, I practically lived out of hand luggage and I had to change languages at every new destination. Needless to say, there was not much time for cooking and working on new recipes, and, because of this, the blog posts came few and far between. Which is all the more reason why recipes had to really jump out at me to warrant a testing. And I thought I’d sum up a little collection of my ten best tried-and-tested recipes from the blogosphere that you really should try in 2015.
– Grilled Corn, Black beans and Quinoa with a Cilantro lime Dressing by Flourishing Foodie: The dressing to this salad is absolutely to-die-for and I use it on everything, from grilled chicken to roasted butternut. And this blog is a sparkly wonder to browse through.
– Strawberries and Danish Summer Cream by My New Roots: Strawberries were my fruity crush this year, and I got to enjoy them at the plucking, preparing, baking and mulling stage. This post was just more fuel to the fire. So much so, that I broke my long blogging silence with my version of the recipe.
– Hummus & Shakshuka by Green Kitchen Stories: This year I developed an infatuation with Middle Eastern food, particularly hummus. I can eat hummus with everything, but this combination is best. And the lovely authors at Green Kitchen Stories have the recipe for the creamiest hummus (but with a little extra work).
– The Green Smoothie: At the end of this year I (tentatively) cut out sugar to counteract the scary amount of German chocolate I ate. Cue the green smoothie, which takes some getting used to but makes you feel instantly healthy. This The Ultimate green Smoothie Formula infographic was invaluable.
– Zucchini noodles with pesto (any pesto!): Number one item on my birthday list this year? A mandolin. And I had zucchini noodles in mind. I still haven’t quite replaced the pasta cravings, but it’s a work in progress. I was inspired by the Zucchini Pasta with Mint-Pea Pesto by Julie from Julie’s Kitchen.
– Grain bowls: a quick, easy and nutritiously delicious way of eating. This is not just a recipe, it’s a whole new food culture that captures the essence of the healthy food movement, in my opinion. It simplifies the (sometimes) difficult task of packing in all those many health supplements in your meal. This video is a great step-by-step to making your own.
– Moroccan Spiced Carrots with Feta and MintI by Rosemarried: I started a new ‘Vegetables’ pinboard on Pinterest and strove to find new ways of cooking vegetables deliciously as mains and sides. This recipe just topped my list for both.
– Soba Noodle Salad with Rainbow Vegetables + Sesame Dressing by love.life.eat: Downtown Ramen Noodle Bar in Cape Town has ignited an insatiable appetite for Asian dishes that I have not yet fully explored. This was a healthy and yummy way to keep it at bay.
– Vegetable Lasagne by Green Kitchen Stories: Noticed a little blog crush going on? I wouldn’t deny it. These bloggers have a way of making vegetables look rich and vibrant. And this lasagne recipe was my go-to thank-you-meal for my hosts. I was always welcomed back.